CBD oil is absolutely everywhere but what is it and why should you care?
Today, we’ll give take you to CBD school by outlining the basics and showcasing 5 of the best CBD oils to get your journey started.
Before anything else, what is this oil?
What Is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of more than 100 chemical compounds found in the marijuana plant.
These compounds are known collectively as cannabinoids.
Besides CBD, the other most well-known of these compounds is THC. This has psychoactive properties and gets you high. CBD does not share these psychotropic qualities.
If CBD doesn’t get you high, why should you bother using it?
Luckily, CBD can sometimes be beneficial helping to combat:
- Addiction: CBD has been shown in animal studies to reduce dependence on morphine
- Anxiety disorders: CBD oil has been used to treat anxiety in children while animal studies have shown CBD could possibly have antidepressant properties
- Heart health: Although more human studies are needed, CBD has been demonstrated to reduce oxidative stress and prevent heart damage when tested on animals
- Insomnia and other sleep disorders: If you find problems dropping off at night, a few drops of CBD oil might be beneficial
- Pain: CBD could help to reduce chronic pain and reduce inflammation
Research is vigorous and ongoing including the use CBD for fighting certain cancers.
Bottom line: there appears to be much we could gain from CBD with no serious side effects to speak of.
Types of CBD Oil
The most common types of CBD oil are:
Full-spectrum CBD contains everything from the plant including:
- Fatty acids
The presence of all these components can enhance the overall effects in what’s known as the entourage effect.
Full-spectrum oil contains trace amounts of THC so proceed with caution if your employer conducts drug testing.
A broad-spectrum oil is similar to full-spectrum except there’s no THC at all. You’ll still benefit from the entourage effect but with absolutely no psychoactive content.
CBD isolate is a pure and crystalline powder containing nothing but 99% pure CBD with all plant matter removed.
This isolate is combined with carrier oils such as hemp seed oil or MCT oil
How To Use CBD Oil
Using this oil is remarkably simple.
Place a dropper-full of oil under your tongue. Hold this for roughly one minute then swallow. This approach allows the CBD oil to fully absorb into your bloodstream.
There are many other delivery methods if you find this approach unpalatable.
With those basics sketched in, it’s time for our capsule reviews of the strongest products in this booming vertical.
Top 5 CBD Oils of 2020
Kanibi is a home-grown CBD outfit based out of Utah. Led by Trevor Hiltbrandt of Transparent Labs, the company is committed to quality and uses science-backed ingredients that deliver with no additives or preservatives.
Double third-party testing gives Kanibi products an edge over the competition and allows you to buy with complete confidence.
This oil is made from US-grown organic hemp. The full-spectrum oil tincture gives you a choice of 2 potencies:
As a full-spectrum oil, the entourage effect is maximized. This is a synergistic effect where the cannabinoids work together more effectively than in isolation without getting you high. While this oil contains THC, at just 0.3%, you won’t get any psychoactive effects.
Initially, you could only find 2 flavors, but the range is rapidly expanding as Kanibi find their feet. Choose from:
- Choco Mint
- Lemon Lime
Kanibi CBD oil is designed to satisfy beginners and experienced users alike so why not give some a try this year and join the CBD revolution?
- Full-spectrum CBD sourced from organic hemp
- Unrivaled transparency with double third-party testing
- Flavors disguises taste of CBD
- Responsive customer service
- Available in standard or high potency
- Sorely restricted product line
- THC is present but limited to 0.3%
Another home-grown success story, the FAB team has 25 years of experience in the supplement and pharmaceutical space so you’re in safe hands.
Organic hemp plants are grown in Colorado with no pesticides and no other additives to mar this full-spectrum oil. You won’t find any isolates in the FAB range for now. As with all full-spectrum oils, while there’s not enough THC to get you high, you could potentially fail a drug test. This is unlikely but something to bear in mind.
Choose between the following 3 strengths:
You’ll have even more choice when it comes to flavors with the following up for grabs:
To supplement already great customer care, you can engage with an active community of users on Facebook, a great way to get help from the community if you’re a CBD novice.
A full-spectrum gem from a brand with a quarter-century in the business: what’s not to love?
- Most products backed by third-party lab testing
- Made from organic hemp plants grown in Colorado
- Full-spectrum oil with <0.3% THC and absolutely no additives
- 5 flavors so you’re spoiled for choice
- Rock-solid returns policy and great customer care
- Relatively limited suite of products but includes gummies and topical creams
- Not all products have been potency tested
A broad-spectrum CBD oil made from organic Kentucky hemp, you’ll get the benefits of CBD without any THC at all.
The broad range of products gives you plenty of choice beyond oil, too. cbdMD also manufactures capsules, gummies, and even bath bombs.
Choose from a range of flavors and potencies to suit.
Lab reports are dated. They also only reference the concentrate. If you want more detailed lab reports, contact cbdMD and they’ll email you a copy. We’re hoping this will soon become a more seamless procedure. We’d like to see this information on the (super-slow) website.
If you’re looking to enjoy many of the benefits of CBD with the confidence of using a THC-free product, this is a cost-effective starting point.
Given the overall quality of this product, you might be surprised at just how little investing in this oil costs.
- Completely THC-free
- Hemp is sourced from the US
- Improved practices with third-party testing is welcome
- Multiple flavors and potencies available
- Unbeatable price/performance ratio
- Not a full-spectrum oil
- Website is slow and clunky
4) Joy Organics
A new kid on the block, Joy Organics is already starting to make ripples in the vast ocean of CBD products glutting the market.
If you’re looking for a full-spectrum solution, this oil is not for you. If, however, you face drug screens or you want a family-friendly CBD oil, this broad-spectrum offering is tailor-made.
Choose from 4 strength levels:
- Tranquil Mint
You should always probe the reputation a brand has for customer care when you’re buying CBD, particularly if you’re a newcomer. You’ll find nothing but praise online for Joy Organics in this area so you’re in safe hands.
This oil wins our vote for the best THC-free CBD oil so why not give some a try?
- THC-free product for those who want a guarantee of not failing drug screens
- Makes use of domestic hemp for your peace of mind
- Customer service is first-rate
- Comprehensive lab reports extend to outlining any potential contaminants
- Great tasting products and also available in natural form
- Relative newcomer so brand not tried and tested
- You won’t benefit from the full spectrum of cannabinoids
Last but certainly not least, SabaiDee comes from California and packs its products with oil from Colorado-grown hemp and extracted cleanly with CO2.
This is another full-spectrum oil like most we highlight today. This is the variety that contains trace amounts of THC but provides maximum benefit from a broad array of cannabinoids.
Lab test results are displayed prominently.
Dripping with terpenes, you might need to dig a little deeper for SabaiDee oil, but we feel the extra expenditure is worthwhile. Alongside the CBD oil, you’ll benefit from MCT oil from coconut, and peppermint oil.
Our recommended oil is the Super Good Vibes coming in at quadruple the strength. Each dropper delivers 33.5mg of CBD oil.
- Full-spectrum oil capable of maximizing potential benefits
- Laden with terpenes
- Detailed third-party lab reports easily available on website
- Prompt and helpful customer care wing
- 30-day happiness guarantee so buy without trepidation
- No post-formulation lab tests which is disappointing
- Cannot contact customer service by email
We’re not calling an overall winner here for one reason…
The perfect CBD oil does not exist. All that counts is getting the right CBD oil for you.
We hope you enjoyed today’s brief beginner’s guide to CBD oil. Bookmark our site and consider it your go-to resource for all things CBD.
Shop CBD oil here